Pyogenic granulomas are small, raised, red bumps on the skin. The bumps have a smooth surface and may be moist. They bleed easily because of the high number of blood vessels at the site.
Lobular capillary hemangioma
Causes, incidence, and risk factors
The exact cause of pyogenic granulomas is unknown. They often appear following an injury on the hands, arms, or face.
Pyogenic granulomas are common in children.
- Small red vascular lump that bleeds easily
- Often found at site of recent injury
- Usually seen on hands, arms, and face, but may develop in the mouth (most often in pregnant women)
Signs and tests
Your health care provider will do a physical exam to diagnose this condition. You may also need a skin biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
Small pyogenic granulomas may go away suddenly. Larger bumps are treated with surgery, electrocautery, freezing, or lasers.
Most pyogenic granulomas can be removed. A scar may remain after treatment. There is a high chance that the problem will come back if the whole granuloma is not destroyed during treatment.
- Bleeding from the granuloma
- Return of the condition after treatment
Calling your health care provider
Call your health care provider if you have a skin bump that bleeds easily or that changes appearance.
Habif TP. Vascular tumors and malformations. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 23.
North PE, Kincannon J. In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Schaffer JV, et al, eds.Dermatology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2012:chap 114.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.