Children and fat free diets; Fat free diet and children
Children over age of 1 should be offered low-fat and nonfat foods.
Fat should NOT be restricted in babies under age 1.
- In children ages 1 and 3 years old, fat calories should make up 30 – 40 % of total calories.
- In children age 4 and older, fat calories should make up 25 – 35% of total calories.
Fruits and vegetables are healthy snack foods.
Children should be taught healthy eating habits early, so they may continue them throughout life.
Kirby M, Danner E. Nutritional deficiencies in children on restricted diets. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2009 Oct;56(5):1085-103.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.