Culdocentesis is a procedure that checks for abnormal fluid in the space just behind the vagina. This area is called the cul-de-sac.
How the test is performed
First, you will have a pelvic examination. Then, the health care provider will grasp the cervix with an instrument and lift it slightly.
A long, thin needle is inserted through the wall of the vagina (just below the uterus). A sample is taken of any fluid found in the space. The needle is pulled out.
How to prepare for the test
You may be asked to walk or sit for a short time before the test is done.
How the test will feel
You may have an uncomfortable, cramping feeling. You will feel a brief, sharp pain as the needle is inserted.
Why the test is performed
This procedure is rarely done today because a transvaginal ultrasound can show fluid behind the vagina.
It may be done when:
- You have pain in the lower abdomen and pelvis, and other tests suggest there is fluid in the area
- You may have a ruptured ectopic pregnancy or ovarian cyst
No fluid in the cul-de-sac, or a very small amount of clear fluid, is normal.
What abnormal results mean
Fluid may still be present, even if not seen with this test. You may need other tests.
A sample of fluid may be taken and tested for infection.
If blood is seen in the area, you may need emergency surgery.
What the risks are
Risks include puncturing the uterine or bowel wall.
You may need someone to take you home if you were given a sedative.
Braen GR, Pierce DL. Culdocentesis. In: Roberts JR, Hedges JR, eds. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2009:chap 57.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.