Percussion can be performed to help break up thick fluids in you lungs:
- Form a cup shape with your hand and wrist.
- Clap your hand and wrist against your chest (or have someone clap your back, if your doctor tells you to).
- You should hear a hollow or popping sound, NOT a slapping sound.
- Do not clap so hard that it hurts.
Do percussion for 5 to 7 minutes in each area of the chest. Do this on all of the areas of your chest or back that your doctor tells you to. When you finish, take a deep breath and cough.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.