Treats vaginal yeast infections. This medicine is an antifungal.
Monistat 7, Miconazole 7, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 7, Sunmark Miconazole 7, Quality Choice Miconazole 7, Good Sense Miconazole 7, TopCare Miconazole 7, TopCare Miconazole 3 Combo Pack, Quality Choice 3 Day Vaginal, Rite Aid Miconazole 3, Top Care Miconazole 3, Miconazole 3 Combination Pack, Monistat 3, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Miconazole 3, Good Sense Miconazole 3
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to miconazole or another antifungal medicine, such as Gyne-Lotrimin®, Mycelex®, Micatin®, Spectazole®, Terazol®, or Femstat®.
How to Use This Medicine
Cream, Suppository, Tampon
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label.
- This medicine comes with patient instructions. Read and follow these instructions carefully. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- This medicine is to be used only in the vagina. Use at bedtime unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Wear only clean cotton underwear (panties) instead of nylon or rayon underwear.
- To make the vaginal suppository easier to insert, wet it with a small amount of warm water. You may also use a lubricating gel such as K-Y® Jelly, but do not use petroleum jelly (Vaseline®).
- Insert the medicated tampon into your vagina at bedtime. Leave it in all night. Remove it when you get up in the morning.
- Wash the applicator with warm, soapy water after you use it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- If the medicine comes with disposable applicators, use each applicator only once, and then throw it away.
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you are also using a blood thinner (Coumadin®).
- Avoid using douches or other vaginal products unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Talk to your doctor before using this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may leak out of your vagina during the day. You may wear a sanitary pad to protect your clothing, but do not use a tampon.
- Keep using this medicine for the full time of treatment, even if your symptoms improve after the first few doses. Do not stop using the medicine if your menstrual period begins during your treatment time. Use sanitary pads rather than unmedicated tampons.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Unusual bleeding or bruising
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Skin rash
- Stomach discomfort
- Vaginal itching or burning
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.