Potassium Chloride (poe-TAS-ee-um KLOR-ide)
A supplement for people who do not have enough potassium in the body. This is caused by either taking drugs such as diuretics (water pills) or from certain diseases.
Klor-Con M15, Klor-Con 8, Klor-Con M10, Klor-Con 10, Klor-Con M20, Klor-Con/25, Klor-Con, K-Tab, Kali Mur, Micro-K, K-Dur
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an unusual or allergic reaction to any medicine that has potassium in it. You should not use this medicine if you have severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Long Acting Capsule, Powder, Liquid, Long Acting Tablet, Granule
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Take this medicine with food or right after eating.
- Take the powder, granule, or oral liquid only after mixing in one-half glass (4 ounces) of water or juice.
- Do not chew, crush, or break the tablet, extended-release capsule, or capsule. Swallow it whole with full glass of water.
- If you are using the extended-release tablet, ask your doctor or pharmacist if you want to crush or break the tablet. Some brands of this medicine can be broken or crushed and mixed in water, and some brands must be swallowed whole. If you mix the crushed tablet in water, swallow all of the mixture right away. Do not save any of the mixture to use later.
- While taking a capsule form of this medicine, part of the capsule may pass into your stools. This is normal and is nothing to worry about.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take your medicine and skip the missed dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time unless your doctor tells you to do so.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine away from children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking amiloride, spironolactone, triamterene, Capoten®, Vasotec®, Zestril®, or any medicine that has potassium in it.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using salt substitutes.
- Many types of foods, such as fresh fruits (bananas), fresh vegetables, and fresh meats, also contain potassium. You should not eat too much of them while using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Numb hands or feet
- Excessive weakness or heaviness of legs
- Trouble breathing
- Severe stomach pain or vomiting
- Pain in chest or throat
- Red or black stools with diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea or cramps
- Stomach discomfort, loose stools
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.