Treats glaucoma. Belongs to the class of drugs called beta blockers.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have asthma or severe lung disease. You should not use if you have had an allergic reaction to levobunolol, preservatives such as sulfites, or other beta blocker medicines such as timolol or betaxolol.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to use and how often. Do not use more medicine or use it more often than your doctor tells you to. This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Wash your hands before and after using the medicine.
- Shake the eye drops well just before each use.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the eye drops: Hold the dropper close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into the pocket made between your lower lid and eyeball. Gently close your eyes. Place your index finger over the inner corner of your eye for 1 minute. Do not rinse or wipe the dropper or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away. Keep the bottle upright when you are not using it.
- When you use your eye drops with a compliance cap (C cap) for the first time, make sure the number 1 or correct day of the week appears in the window of the cap. After every use, hold the cap and turn the bottle until the cap clicks to the position for your next dose.
If a dose is missed:
- If you use the eye drops once a day, apply as soon as possible. If not remembered till next day, apply only once that day.
- If you use the eye drops more than once a day, apply as soon as possible unless it is close to the time for the next dose. If almost time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule.
- Do not put in two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your eye doctor knows if you are taking other beta blocker medicines (such as Inderal®, Lopressor®, or Tenormin®) or other high blood pressure medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine if you have emphysema, asthma, bronchitis, heart disease, overactive thyroid, or diabetes.
- This medicine may decrease or increase the level of sugar in blood and cover up symptoms of very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia).
- Talk with your doctor before use if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Severe eye irritation or redness
- Slow or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Skin rash, severe itching or hives
- Swelling of legs or ankles
- Fever or sore throat
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stinging or burning of the eye(s)
- Redness, itching or watery eye(s)
- Eye(s) sensitive to light
- Dizziness, drowsiness, or confusion
- Trouble sleeping or abnormal dreams
- Problems having sex
- Cold hands and feet
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.