Treats infections caused by bacteria. Also used to prevent infections before and after surgery.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to metronidazole or to similar medicines (such as azanidazole).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Your doctor will give you a few doses of this medicine until your condition improves, and then switch you to an oral medicine that works the same way. If you have any concerns about this, talk to your doctor.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using cimetidine (Tagamet®), disulfiram (Antabuse®), medicine for seizures (such as phenobarbital, phenytoin, Brevital®, Dilantin®, Fiorinal®, Mysoline®, or Seconal®), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®).
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, blood or bone marrow problems, oral thrush, a vaginal yeast infection, fluid problems (edema), or a history of seizures.
- Check with your doctor right away if you are having burning, numbness, tingling, or painful sensations in the arms, hands, legs, or feet. These could be symptoms of a condition called peripheral neuropathy.
- Check with your doctor right away if you have dizziness, problems with muscle control or coordination, shakiness or an unsteady walk, slurred speech, or trouble with speaking. These may be symptoms of a serious condition called encephalopathy.
- Call your doctor right away if you have confusion, drowsiness, fever, a general feeling of illness, a headache, loss of appetite, nausea, a stiff neck or back, or vomiting. These could be symptoms of a serious condition called meningitis.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse, call your doctor.I
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing]
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash.
- Blurred vision or changes in vision.
- Dark-colored urine.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet.
- Problems with muscle control or coordination.
- Seizures (convulsions).
- Shakiness or unsteady walk.
- Slurred speech or trouble with speaking.
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth.
- Metallic taste in your mouth.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Stuffy or runny nose.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.