Used as part of a medical test of the adrenal glands.
Novaplus Cosyntropin, Cortrosyn
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cosyntropin.
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine will be given by your doctor or nurse.
- An intravenous or IV injection is given through a tube put in one of your veins, usually in your arm, wrist, or hand.
- An intramuscular or IM injection is a shot given in the muscle of your upper arm, thigh, or buttocks.
- Your blood will be tested before and after you receive this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss your appointment for this test, call your doctor for another appointment.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using a diuretic ("water pill").
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before receiving this medicine.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.