Treats dry mouth caused by radiation cancer treatment or a condition called Sjogren's syndrome.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to pilocarpine, or if you have eye problems such as iritis or glaucoma, or asthma that is not well-controlled.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Your dose may need to be changed several times in order to find out what works best for you. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- Never share your medicine with anyone.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine away from children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using atropine, dicyclomine (Bentyl®), glycopyrrolate (Robinul®), or scopolamine (Transderm Scop®), or asthma medicine (such as albuterol, Atrovent®, Combivent®, Serevent®, Singulair®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a gall bladder disorder, heart disease, kidney disease, or lung disease (such as asthma, bronchitis, COPD).
- This medicine may cause you to become dehydrated more easily than normal. Drink plenty of fluids while you are using the medicine, especially if you exercise or sweat more than usual.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in face or hands, swelling or tingling in the mouth or throat, tightness in chest, trouble breathing
- Confusion, shaking, changes in mood or behavior
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate
- Lightheadedness or fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, poor night vision
- Headache, dizziness, tiredness
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Watery eyes or mouth, runny nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.