Botulism Immune Globulin (BOT-ue-lizm i-MUNE GLOB-ue-lin)
Treats an infection called infant botulism in infants under 1 year of age. Botulism is a type of food poisoning caused by a bacteria that lives in soil and in contaminated food. The bacteria (toxin) gets into the body when a person eats infected food. Then the toxin grows inside the intestines and causes illness.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Your child should not receive this medicine if he or she has had an allergic reaction to any type of immune globulin. This would include medicines given after a kidney transplant. Other types of immune globulin include Respigam®, RhoGam®, BabyRho®, or immune globulins to prevent hepatitis, tetanus, or chickenpox.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your child's exact dose and tell you when it should be given. This medicine is usually given only once after your child becomes ill with botulism.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your child's veins. A nurse or other trained health professional will give your child this medicine.
- Your child will need to be watched after receiving this medicine to check for side effects. Some side effects from this medicine can occur hours or days after your child receives it.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Vaccines and other shots may not work as well if your child receives them during treatment with botulism immune globulin. This effect may last up to 5 months. Talk to your child's doctor about the best immunization schedule for your baby.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your child's doctor knows if the baby has diabetes or kidney disease.
- This medicine is made from human blood products. Many people are worried about getting AIDS, hepatitis, or West Nile Virus from a blood transfusion. The risk of this happening is rare. Blood banks test all donated blood for AIDS, hepatitis, and West Nile Virus.
- Children may get botulism from eating honey, but most people can eat honey safely without getting infected. Babies are more likely to get infected from eating honey because their intestines are more sensitive to the bacteria.
- Do not feed honey to any child under the age of 12 months. Do not use honey on a bottle nipple or pacifier to make the baby take it easier. Do not put honey on your nipples if you are breast feeding your baby. Even a small amount of honey could cause the baby to develop botulism.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your child's face or hands, swelling or tingling in his mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Fewer than 8 wet diapers in one full day.
- Increased sensitivity to light.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Neck stiffness, nausea, vomiting.
- Severe drowsiness, fussiness, or crying.
- Trouble breathing or swallowing.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Chills, fever, or pain.
- Mild skin rash.
- Snoring or noisy breathing.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.