Hyaluronic Acid (hye-al-ure-ON-ate AS-id)
Treats severe pain in your knee joint due to osteoarthritis.
Orthovisc, Euflexxa, Supartz, Hyalgan
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hyaluronic acid or to any products derived from birds such as eggs, feathers, or poultry. You should not receive this medicine if you have any infection or skin disease on your knee joint.
How to Use This Medicine
- This medicine is given as a shot into your knee joint. It may take more than one injection for the pain to go away.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure you do not strain your knee joint for two days after receiving this medicine. Avoid activities such as jogging, tennis, heavy lifting, or standing on your feet for a long time.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Back pain or joint pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, pain, swelling, itching, bruising, or rash where the shot is given.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.