Used to help control certain types of seizures that are caused by epilepsy. This medicine is an antiepileptic.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to levetiracetam.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins. The needle should remain in place for about 15 minutes.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using other medicines to treat or prevent seizures.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant. Your doctor may want you to join the UCB AED Pregnancy Registry or North American Antiepileptic Drug Pregnancy Registry. These registries are used by pregnant patients who are using this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or are receiving dialysis.
- This medicine may cause changes in mood or behavior, problems with coordination, or unusual tiredness or weakness. Tell your doctor right away if you start to feel more depressed, anxious or angry, getting upset easily, restless, or if you have thoughts about hurting yourself. Report any unusual thoughts or behaviors that trouble you, especially if they are new or getting worse quickly.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly without asking your doctor. You may need to slowly decrease your dose before stopping it completely. Stopping the medicine suddenly may cause your seizures to return or to occur more often.
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or less alert than they are normally. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect the results of certain medical tests.
- Your doctor will need to check your progress at regular visits while you are using this medicine. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Behavior problems, hostility, restlessness, trouble concentrating, or moodiness
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Extreme sleepiness or drowsiness
- Feeling sad, depressed, or having an unusual mood or behavior
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Increased seizures
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Problems with balance, coordination, or walking
- Thoughts of hurting yourself
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Double vision
- Headache or dizziness
- Mild skin rash
- Neck pain
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Problems with memory
- Sensation of spinning
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Tiredness or weakness
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.