Perflutren Lipid Microsphere (per-FLOO-tren LIP-id MYE-kroe-sfeers)
Used during a heart procedure called echocardiogram. Helps your doctor see the inside of your heart more clearly.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to perflutren lipid microsphere, or if you have unstable angina, unstable or worsening congestive heart failure, heart rhythm problems (such as QT prolongation), or have recently had a heart attack. You should not receive this medicine if you have serious breathing problems or lung disease, such as severe emphysema or blood clots in the lungs.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you any heart defects, or a heart or lung condition that has recently gotten worse.
- This medicine may cause a serious type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. You will be observed for signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis after you receive this medicine. Tell your doctor right away about any unusual effects you may have.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain or shortness of breath.
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Fever or chills.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Back pain.
- Dizziness or headache.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
©1997 - A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.