Boost Your Immune System with Laughter
It is often said that laughter is good for the soul. But did you know it’s also good for the body? Laughter has long been recognized as a stress reliever and mood lifter, and research is showing laughter may have even more significant health benefits as well.
Laughter can’t prevent or cure cancer or any other disease, but it does create positive physical changes and improve your sense of well-being. Like having a positive, hopeful attitude, laughter is important to the body’s ability to recover.
Studies Show That Laughter May:
- Strengthen your immune system
- Lower stress hormones
- Increase your brain’s release of endorphins, your body’s natural pain relievers
- Improve circulation and stimulate organs
- Relax muscles
- Lessen fear and anxiety
Just as negative thoughts cause chemical reactions that increase stress and decrease immunity to disease, laughter and positive thoughts release chemicals that help fight stress and illness. According to a study by researchers at the University of California-Irvine, just looking forward to participating in a positive, humorous event reduces stress and increases relaxation for days in advance.
How to Add Laughter in Your Life
- Watch a funny movie, video or TV show.
- Share a funny story.
- Go to a comedy club.
- Listen to a funny radio station or podcast when you’re stuck in traffic.
- Make time for fun activities like putt-putt golf.
- Allow yourself to see the humor in life around you.
What do you do that never fails to make you laugh? Share your thoughts below!