General Surgery Residency
Christopher Pfeifer, DO & Mohan Kulkarni, MD
Henry Ford Allegiance Health is a 475-bed health system that sees a wide range of general surgical conditions. Our General Surgery Residency is a five-year program that is dual accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). Trainees receive both AOA and ACGME credit. This program is affiliated with the Statewide Campus System with Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM).
Features of the Residency
- New dynamic program with younger leadership
- Striving to become a Level II trauma center
- Started open-heart surgery program in 2008
- Weekly didactic and Morbidity and Mortality sessions facilitated by faculty physicians
- Surgical skills and simulation sessions
- State of the art Center for Health Innovation and Education (CHIE) slated to open in 2017
- Faculty is made up of:
- Seven general surgeons
- One thoracic surgeon
- Two cardiac surgeons
- Three vascular surgeons
- Trauma surgeons
- Plastic surgeon
- Didactic, clinical exposure and experience further broadened by enrollment in the Michigan State University Surgical Training Consortium.
- Monthly sessions
- University endorsement included on the resident’s diploma
- Faculty Appointment
- Robotic surgeries, including:
- Colon resections
- Inquinal and ventral hernia repair.
- Transanal hemorrhoidal dearterialization (THD) procedures
- Laparoscopic procedures, including:
- Colon resections
- Inguinal and ventral hernia repair
- Gastric surgery
- Endoscopy, including:
- PEG tube placement
The hospital and the teaching staff are deeply committed to your education. We anticipate the training here at Henry Ford Allegiance Health will prepare you for a busy community-based general surgery practice in the future.
Note: General surgery audition rotations will be granted on a first come first serve basis. We encourage two week rotations in order to accommodate as many requests as we can. Applications are submitted and approved through the GME office. Thank you for your interest in our program.