Hearing Health Quick Test
Score 2 points for Yes answers, 1 point for Sometimes, and 0 points for No.
- Do you find it difficult to follow a conversation in a noisy restaurant or crowded room?
- Do you sometimes feel that people are mumbling or not speaking clearly?
- Do you experience difficulty following dialog in the theater?
- Do you sometimes find it difficult to understand a speaker at a public meeting or a religious service?
- Do you find yourself asking people to speak up or repeat themselves?
- Do you find men's voices easier to understand than women's?
- Do you experience difficulty understanding soft or whispered speech?
- Do you sometimes have difficulty understanding speech on the telephone?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to feel embarrassed when meeting new people?
- Do you feel handicapped by a hearing problem?
- Does a hearing problem cause you to visit friends, relatives or neighbors less often than you would like?
- Do you experience ringing or noises in your ears?
- Do you hear better with one ear than the other?
- Have you had any significant noise exposure during work, recreation or military service?
- Have any of your relatives (by birth) had a hearing loss?
Scores of 3 or more may mean that you have a hearing problem. Scores of 6 or more strongly suggest that a hearing test is warranted. In either case, further evaluation by an audiologist may be recommended.