Speak Up Campaign
Allegiance Health supports a program entitled “Speak Up,” which was developed by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Speak Up is a national initiative urging patients to play an active role in helping prevent medical errors by becoming involved in their health care decisions.
To remind patients of their rights and responsibilities in the health care process, Speak Up encourages patients to:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns. And if you don’t understand, ask again. It’s your body and you have a right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you are receiving. Make sure you’re getting the right treatments and medications by the right health care professionals. Don’t assume anything.
- Educate yourself about your diagnosis, the medical tests you are undergoing and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate.
- Know what medications you take and why you take them. Medication errors are the most common health care mistakes.
- Use a hospital, clinic, surgery center or other type of health care organization that has undergone a rigorous on-site evaluation against established, state-of-the-art quality and safety standards, such as that provided by JCAHO.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the health care team.
If you have questions about the Speak Up program, contact Allegiance Health’s Patient Support Services Office at (517) 788-4800, ext. 4971.