Nutrition Counseling Services
If you want to improve your health or manage a medical condition through diet and lifestyle changes, Nutrition Counseling Services is here to help.
Conveniently located on the first floor of the Anderson Building, adjacent to the lobby, Allegiance Health offers nutrition counseling services in a convenient outpatient setting. One of our Registered Dietitians will be happy to assess your current lifestyle and eating habits, and design a plan to meet your needs. We offer assistance in many areas, including:
- Healthy eating
- Weight loss or gain
- Heart disease
- Food allergies
- Kidney disease
- High blood pressure
- High or low blood sugar
- Digestive problems
- High cholesterol
- Nutrition during pregnancy
- Nutrition for children and teens
During your consultation, an Allegiance Dietitian will determine your nutritional needs and:
- Explain how food and diet relate to your condition
- Identify problem areas and suggest ways to improve
- Help you set realistic goals for success and plan steps to achieve them
- Provide nutrition resources
- Arrange a follow-up visit, if you wish, to monitor your progress and help you maintain your healthy changes
Heart Healthy Shopping
Frequently Asked Insurance Questions
Will my insurance cover the cost of my appointment?
Many insurance companies will cover the cost if you are referred by your doctor or health care provider. If you have specific questions regarding coverage for nutrition counseling, please refer to your insurance policy or contact your insurance provider before your appointment.
What if my insurance does not cover nutrition counseling?
The fee for service is not due the day of your appointment. The hospital will send you a bill for whatever portion is not covered by your insurance. Allegiance Health also offers an interest-free payment plan for medical bills. For billing information, call the Allegiance Health Business Office at (517) 788-4920.
Are Walk-ins Welcome?
Appointments are required. To make an appointment, speak to a Registered Dietitian or to find out more information about our services, please contact Allegiance Health Nutrition Counseling Services at (517) 768-7793. Nutrition Counseling Services is located on the Allegiance Health campus, on the first floor of the Anderson Building, adjacent to the lobby.
What is a Registered Dietitian, or RD?
A Registered Dietitian (RD) is a nutrition expert who has completed the education and experience requirements established by the Commission on Dietetic Registration—the accrediting agency for the American Dietetic Association. RDs are required to:
- Complete a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Dietetics or a related field
- Complete an internship program at a hospital or an eligible healthcare facility, community agency or food service organization
- Successfully complete the national Registration Examination for Dietitians
- Complete continuing professional educational requirements to maintain registration