Payment Options & Financial Assistance
For patients who do not have insurance, or for those who owe a balance after insurance has paid, Henry Ford Allegiance Health offers a number of options for resolving the balances you are responsible for paying.
If you cannot make a full payment at the time you receive a service or at the time you receive your first bill, Henry Ford Allegiance Health offers the following options to assist you:
- Payment Plan: Your payments would be based on the balance due divided by the number of months allowed to pay in full.
- Compassionate Care: This program is based on your gross income (the amount of money you make before taxes) and the number of dependent family members in your household. Please contact our Customer Service department to learn if you may qualify for this program.
If you would like assistance in establishing payment for Henry Ford Allegiance Health services, please use the following contact information:
- Patients in the hospital now, call (517) 205-4973
- Patients planning care in the future, call (517) 205-4973
- Patients who have already received care, call (517) 205-4920
Patient Financial Assistance Program (PFAP) Policy
Henry Ford Allegiance Health (HFAH) treats every patient with dignity, respect and compassion. Patients can look to HFAH for fair pricing of the medical services it provides and for assistance with finding options to help patients manage their medical costs. All patients have the right to receive emergency medical care regardless of the patients’ ability to pay or any outstanding balance from prior visits.
Patients and/or guarantors are expected to accept responsibility for any financial obligations to HFAH for medical services provided. Responsibility is demonstrated through actions such as providing HFAH with accurate and complete information, timely payment, compliance with agreed upon payment plans, and enrolling in medical coverage, whether it be employer provided, private programs, or government supported programs such as Medicare (Parts A, B and D, or C) and Medicaid programs or any other third party payer, as applicable.
Services billed by HFAH are eligible for HFAH financial assistance under this policy. The list of sites and providers participating in PFAP can be obtained free of charge from the Henry Ford Allegiance Health website or by calling customer service at (517) 205-4920.
The Henry Ford Allegiance’s Patient Financial Assistance Program (PFAP) is designed to address those situations where a qualifying patient has a medical need for services and is not eligible for health insurance coverage, or is insured but has limited financial resources.
Additional PFAP Information
Qualification for HFAH PFAP will be determined on an encounter by encounter basis. Call customer service (517) 205-4920 to learn how to apply and if you qualify.
Application for assistance is made through contact with HFAH financial counseling and customer service staff and by providing certain financial and supporting information. Patients and/or guarantors may apply for financial assistance at any time up to 240 days after HFAH provides the initial billing to the patient and/or guarantor. HFAH will, in turn, process the application and make a determination of qualification within 30 calendar days after the completed application is received. The individual will be notified in writing of the determination and basis for determination.
Qualification for participation in the Patient Financial Assistance Program (PFAP) is subject to the approval of HFAH Revenue Cycle Management in partnership with clinical care teams.
Exceptions may be made as warranted for special circumstances. Such exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Any exception made does not constitute a change in policy nor does it guarantee that this same decision will apply in the future.
Uninsured patients not meeting PFAP criteria will be charged for the service at no more than Amounts Generally Billed (AGB) to individuals maintaining health insurance coverage. Most typically this rate is 65% of gross charges for similar services. For those patients not PFAP qualified, actions that may be taken by HFAH for nonpayment are described in a separate patient billing and collections policy which may be obtained free of charge from HFAH financial counseling staff or the Henry Ford Allegiance Health website.
- Amounts Generally Billed (AGB) means the average amount that HFAH anticipates being paid by commercial insurers for the service by using the same billing and coding process applicable to Medicare fee for service patients.
- Guarantor is the person held accountable for the patient’s bill.
- HFAH Service Provider for this purpose includes all employed providers.
- Household Income includes before tax earnings, unemployment compensation, workers’ compensation, Social Security, Supplemental Security Income, public assistance, veterans’ payments, survivor benefits, pension or retirement income, interest, dividends, rents, royalties, incomes from estates, trusts, educational assistance, alimony, child support, assistance from outside the household, and other miscellaneous sources. DOES NOT include non-cash benefits such as food stamps and housing subsidies or capital gains or losses. If a person lives with a family, the income of all household family members must be included (including domestic partners) unless family members are paying rent and/or are not dependents of homeowners. Non-relatives, such as housemates, are not to be included. Dependency status shall be determined on a case by case basis.
- Medical Need, Medically Necessary or Medical Necessity means health care services that a physician, exercising prudent clinical judgment, would provide to a patient for the purpose of evaluating, diagnosing or treating an illness, injury, disease or its symptoms, and that are generally accepted standards of medical practice. Preventive or screening services are only covered if ordered by an HFAH service provider. HFAH uses the Medicaid Medical Necessity guidelines to determine Medical Necessity.