Breastfeeding & Lactation Consultation
Allegiance Health offers a breastfeeding class for parents through the Stork Club. We recommend parents-to-be attend this class three months prior to baby’s due date. For more information about the benefits of breastfeeding and our lactation services, please call our lactation support office at (517) 788-4940. For the Stork Club, call (517) 788-4954.
The Allegiance Health Family Birthing Center strongly endorses breastfeeding; it is the best way to feed your baby. We are also one of 90 hospitals in the nation to be selected to take part in the Best Fed Beginnings program, a national effort to improve breastfeeding rates.
Advantages of Breastfeeding for the Mom
Breastfeeding is best for mom because:
- You share a special feeling of closeness when you provide nourishment that only you can give your baby.
- It is convenient. Milk is always available at the right temperature and the right time.
- Breastfeeding is economical. There is no cost.
- Making milk uses up calories. You may be able to lose weight while eating more.
- It lowers your chances for getting breast and ovarian cancers, and osteoporosis.
- Moms who work outside the home benefit from healthier babies—which means less time away from work.
Advantages of Breastfeeding for Baby
Breastfeeding is best for your baby because:
- Mom's milk is the ideal food for brain development.
- It contributes to the overall health of the baby. Breastfed babies make fewer visits to doctor’s office for diarrhea, digestive disorders, rashes, respiratory infections like colds or bronchitis, and allergies compared to babies who are not breastfed.
- Breast milk contains antibodies that protect babies from middle ear infections and other childhood illnesses, including leukemia.
- Breastfed babies are less likely to be overweight.
- Close body contact is important for human development.
Lactation Consultant Services
All of our nursery staff have received additional education regarding breastfeeding. In addition, our lactation consultants are available to support and educate you so that you and your baby can enjoy the benefits of a positive breastfeeding experience. We offer:
- Hospital visits: All nursing staff have had specialized training to assist you with your breastfeeding experience.
- Phone consultations: After you’re home from the hospital, moms are encouraged to call with any breastfeeding questions.
- Personal consultations: For moms and babies who need a little extra help, one- on-one appointments are still available even after leaving the hospital.
- Resources for pump rental or purchase: Check with us for affordable electric pumps to rent or purchase, as well as breastfeeding supplies.