Treats stuffy nose caused by a cold, allergy, sinus infection, or upper respiratory infection. This medicine is a decongestant.
12-Hour Nasal, 4-Way Long Lasting, Afrin, Afrin Extra Moisturizing, Afrin No-Drip Sinus, Afrin PumpMist, Afrin Sinus, Afrin w/Menthol, Dristan 12-Hr, Duramist Plus, Good Neighbor Nasal Spray Pump, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Nasal Spray, Good Sense Nasal Spray, Mucinex Full Force, Mucinex Moisture SmartThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to oxymetazoline or to other nasal decongestants. You should not use this medicine if you have narrow-angle glaucoma.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- If you are using a brand that has a pump spray, you will need to prime the spray. To do this, point the spray away from your face and press the pump several times until some of the medicine sprays out. Now it is ready to use.
- Before using the medicine, gently blow your nose to clear the nostrils.
- With you head upright, spray the medicine once into each nostril, sniffing while squeezing the bottle quickly and firmly. If needed, blow your nose gently again. Repeat the spray process, if needed, until you have used the correct number of sprays.
- After using the nasal spray, wipe the tip of the bottle with a clean tissue and put the cap back on.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Keep the bottle tightly closed when not using it. Store at room temperature, away from heat and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before taking this medicine. Check with your doctor if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, an overactive thyroid, or an enlarged prostate.
- You should not use this medicine for more than 3 days unless you have talked to your doctor.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Slow, pounding, or irregular heartbeat
- Tingling in the hands or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Burning or stinging inside of the nose