Hydroxyzine Hydrochloride (hye-DROX-i-zeen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats anxiety, tension, nervousness, nausea, vomiting, allergies, skin rash, hives, and itching. This medicine is an antihistamine.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an unusual or allergic reaction to hydroxyzine.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Capsule, Liquid
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often. Take this medicine exactly as your doctor ordered.
- May be taken with or without food or milk.
- Carefully measure the oral liquid with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are taking sedatives, muscle relaxants, tranquilizers, sleeping pills, pain pills, or seizure medicine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Check with your doctor before taking hydroxyzine if you have heart or liver disease, enlarged prostate, trouble urinating, or glaucoma.
- Talk with your doctor before taking this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Hydroxyzine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Be careful if you drive a car or operate machinery.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Seizures or tremors
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
- Tightness in the chest
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth, nose, or throat
- Changes in vision such as trouble focusing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088