Lightens dark patches on the skin (such as liver spots, age spots, or freckles) caused by pregnancy, birth control pills, hormone medicines, or skin injury.
Aclaro, Aclaro PD, Alphaquin HP, Eldopaque, Eldopaque Forte, Eldoquin, Eldoquin Forte, Esoterica Fade Cream, Lustra, Lustra-AF, Lustra-Ultra, Melpaque HP, Melquin HP, Melquin-3, Nuquin HPThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to hydroquinone or sulfites.
How to Use This Medicine
Foam, Cream, Gel/Jelly, Liquid, Liquid Mixture
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Use this medicine only on your skin. Rinse it off right away if it gets on a cut or scrape. Do not get the medicine in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast-feeding, or if you have other medical problems.
- Stay out of sunlight while you are using this medicine, or use sun-protective clothing to cover the treated areas.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Intense itching, blistering, swelling, or blue-black darkening of the skin.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Skin redness or mild stinging.