Treats schizophrenia and symptoms of mental disorders.
LoxitaneThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an unusual or allergic reaction to loxapine.
How to Use This Medicine
Tablet, Liquid, Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- You may take the tablets with food to avoid stomach upset.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. Mix the medicine with one-half glass of orange juice or grapefruit juice, and drink it right away.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze the oral liquid.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have seizures, glaucoma, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, or a history of breast cancer.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- This medicine could cause side effects that include muscle spasms, twitching in your face or body, and uncontrolled tongue or jaw movement. Talk to your doctor about this risk.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Fever, severe muscle stiffness.
- Muscle twitching or jerking.
- Rapid breathing or heartbeat.
- Spasms of the neck, face, or back.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Agitation or restlessness.
- Changes in vision, such as problems focusing.
- Dry mouth, loss of appetite, nausea.