Treats high cholesterol and triglycerides, together with a proper diet.
Antara, Fenoglide, Lipofen, Lofibra, Tricor, TriglideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fenofibrate, fenofibric acid, or choline fenofibrate. Do not use this medicine if you are breastfeeding or if you have active liver or gallbladder disease. Do not use this medicine if you receive dialysis or have severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take Fenoglide® or Lipofen® with a meal. Antara®, Triglide®, and Tricor® can be taken with or without a meal.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.Your doctor may also suggest regular exercise as part of your treatment.
- Swallow Antara® capsules, Triglide® tablets, and Tricor® tablets whole. Do not open, crush, break, chew, or dissolve them.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using colchicine (Colcrys®), cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®), tacrolimus (Prograf®), or a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®, Jantoven®).
- Tell your doctor if you are also using cholestyramine (Questran®), colesevelam (Welchol®), or colestipol (Colestid®). You must take fenofibrate at least 1 hour before or 4 to 6 hours after you take these medicines.
- Tell your doctor if you are using other medicine to lower cholesterol (such as atorvastatin, pravastatin, simvastatin, Crestor®, Lipitor®, Vytorin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant. Also make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease, heart disease, blood clotting problems, diabetes, thyroid problems, or a history of muscle pain or weakness. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol on a regular basis.
- Call your doctor right away if you have unexplained muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness, especially if you also feel tired or have a fever. These could be symptoms of serious muscle damage.
- Tell your doctor right away if you have sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, a fever, or lightheadedness. These may be symptoms of pancreatitis.
- This medicine may increase your risk of gallstones. Call your doctor right away if you have severe stomach pain with nausea and vomiting.
- Serious skin reactions can occur with this medicine. Check with your doctor right away if you have blistering, peeling, or loose skin, red skin lesions, severe acne or skin rash, sores or ulcers on the skin, or fever or chills.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, yellow skin or eyes
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness
- Sudden and severe stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, fever, or loss of appetite
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088