This medicine is a blood thinner used to help prevent stroke, heart attack, and other heart problems.
PlavixThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to clopidogrel, or you have a bleeding stomach ulcer or bleeding in your brain.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Ask your doctor if you should use aspirin with clopidogrel.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how clopidogrel works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Blood thinners, such as warfarin
- NSAIDs, such as aspirin, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, or celecoxib
- Tell your doctor if you take esomeprazole or omeprazole, or another proton pump inhibitor.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, had a recent stroke, or have a history of bleeding problems.
- You may bleed or bruise more easily while you are using this medicine, and any bleeding may take longer than usual to stop. Avoid rough sports or other situations where you could be bruised, cut, or injured.
- Make sure any doctor or dentist who treats you knows that you use this medicine. Tell your doctor if you plan to have surgery or a dental procedure.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody or black, tarry stools
- Pinpoint red or purple spots on your skin or in your mouth
- Problems with vision, speech, or walking
- Red or dark brown urine
- Severe stomach pain
- Shortness of breath, tiredness, uneven heartbeat, and yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Vomiting of blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds