Keppra, Keppra XRThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use if you had an allergic reaction to levetiracetam.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Tablet, Long Acting Tablet
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you. Take your medicine at the same time each day.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not break, crush, or chew it.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or a history of depression or mental illness.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Changes in mood or behavior
- Serious skin reactions
- Problems with muscle control or coordination
- Decreased numbers of blood cells, including anemia
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or clumsy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.Your seizures may return or occur more often if you stop using this medicine too quickly.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Behavior changes, depression, hostility, restlessness, trouble concentrating, moodiness, or thoughts of hurting yourself
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Extreme sleepiness, drowsiness, or weakness
- Problems with balance, coordination, or walking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088