Treats mild to moderate active ulcerative colitis.
Colazal, GiazoThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to balsalazide, aminosalicylates, or salicylates (such as aspirin).
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or pyloric stenosis. Tell your doctor if you are on a low-sodium diet.
- Check with your doctor right away if you have stomach pain, bloody diarrhea, cramps, fever, headache, or a rash while you use this medicine. These may be symptoms of an acute intolerance syndrome caused by this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination
- Increased bloody or black diarrhea, fever, or stomach pain
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting
- Runny or stuffy nose, sneezing, or cough
- Tiredness or unusual bruising