Treats dry mouth caused by radiation treatment or Sjogren syndrome.
SalagenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to pilocarpine, or if you have glaucoma or iritis.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using a beta-blocker medicine (blood pressure or heart medicine).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a gallbladder disorder, heart disease, kidney disease, liver problems, lung disease (such as asthma, bronchitis, or COPD), or psychiatric problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- This medicine may cause blurred vision or trouble seeing at night. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Headache, vision changes, sweating, trouble breathing, dizziness, confusion, shaking
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision, poor night vision
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- Sweating, warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
- Watery eyes or mouth, runny nose