Lowers cholesterol in your blood. May be used in combination with another cholesterol-lowering medicine called a "statin."
ZetiaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to ezetimibe. Do not use this medicine together with a statin drug if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- You may take this medicine with or without food.
- If you also use cholestyramine (Questran®), Colestid®, or Welchol®, take that medicine at least 2 hours after or 4 hours before you take ezetimibe.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using cyclosporine (Neoral®, Sandimmune®), cholestyramine (Questran®), fenofibrate (Tricor®), or gemfibrozil (Lopid®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
- Fever, chills, cough, or sore throat.
- Headache, dizziness, or lightheadedness.
- Muscle pain, tenderness, or weakness.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, stomach pain.
- Joint pain, back pain.
- Stuffy or runny nose, sneezing.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088