Lowers the amount of calcium in your blood.
SensiparThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to cinacalcet.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine with food or shortly after a meal.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, chew, or break it.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how cinacalcet works. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following:
- Tricyclic antidepressant
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver, bone, or heart disease, heart failure, heart rhythm problems, low blood pressure, or a history of seizures.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Joint pain
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Numbness or muscle pain, stiffness, cramping, or weakness
- Shortness of breath, cold sweats, and bluish skin
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headache, or loss of appetite
- Skin rash
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088