Benzocaine (BEN-zoe-kane), Butamben (bue-TAM-ben), Tetracaine (TE-tra-kane)
Relieves pain. This medicine is used before a medical or dental procedure to numb your skin and to help control gagging. This medicine is a topical anesthetic.
Cetacaine, ExactacainThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to benzocaine, butamben, or tetracaine, or if you have a medical condition known as a cholinesterase deficiency. Make sure your doctor knows if you are allergic to benzalkonium or ammonium, because some brands may contain these other medicines, too.
How to Use This Medicine
Liquid, Kit, Gel/Jelly, Spray, Ointment
- You will receive this medicine in a hospital or surgery center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- This medicine is for use in your ears, nose, mouth, throat, vagina, or rectum. Do not get this medicine in your eyes. Your skin does not have to be dry before the medicine is applied.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- Do not cover the treated area with a bandage unless directed by your doctor.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not put cosmetics or skin care products on the treated skin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Skin turns a blue color around your mouth, fingers, or toes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry skin or scabbing.
- Mild skin redness, itching, oozing, or rash.