Treats damage of the esophagus that can be caused by stomach acid in people with gastric esophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Prevacid I.V.There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lansoprazole. You should not use this medicine if you are able to use the oral (pill) form of lansoprazole.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using warfarin (Coumadin®), ketoconazole (Nizoral®), ampicillin, iron supplements (also called ferrous fumarate, ferrous gluconate, ferrous sulfate), or digoxin (Lanoxin®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have liver disease.
- This medicine is for people who cannot take the oral (pill) form of lansoprazole.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing.
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools.
- Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bad or unusual taste in your mouth.
- Headache, dizziness.
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea.
- Pain or irritation of your skin where the needle is placed.
- Stomach pain, indigestion.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088