Given after surgery to help reverse the effects of certain types of anesthesia on your muscles.
RegonolThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have ever had an allergic reaction to pyridostigmine, or if you have an intestinal or urinary blockage.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using magnesium, or a medicine to treat an infection (antibiotics) such as bacitracin, gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, streptomycin, or tetracycline.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have asthma, heart rhythm problems, an enlarged prostate, or kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Muscle cramps or weakness.
- Pain, itching, or burning where the needle is placed.
- Slow or uneven heartbeats.
- Twitching, or muscle movements you cannot control.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea or stomach pain.
- Drooling or more saliva than usual.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Running nose, watery eyes, or sweating more than usual.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088