Treats myasthenia gravis.
Prostigmin BromideThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to neostigmine or bromides, or if you have a blockage in your intestines or urinary tract.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Your doctor may ask you to keep a record of how this medicine effects you. This will help to determine if your dosing schedule needs to be changed.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using antibiotics, medicines for heart rhythm problems, or anesthetics.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Tell your doctor if you have asthma, heart rhythm problems, seizures (epilepsy), overactive thyroid, or stomach problems.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery or medical tests.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Severe muscle weakness with slow, shallow breathing.
- Twitching, or muscle movements you cannot control.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, stomach cramps, gas, nausea, or vomiting.
- Dizziness or weakness.
- Increased saliva, watery eyes, runny nose.
- Increased sweating.
- Joint pain, muscle cramps.
- Mild skin rash or itching.