Treats infections. This medicine is an antibiotic.
Merrem IV, Novaplus Meropenem, Novaplus MerremThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to meropenem or any other antibiotic, such as penicillins or cephalosporins.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use divalproex sodium (Depakote®), probenecid (Benemid®), or valproic acid (Depakene®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have kidney problems. Make sure your doctor knows if you have a history of seizures, or if you have a condition that makes you more likely to have seizures.
- Ask your doctor before you take any medicine to stop severe diarrhea.Diarrhea may occur 2 months or more after you stop using this medicine.
- This medicine may cause seizures, headaches, numbness, or a tingling sensation. Do not drive, use machines, or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Severe diarrhea that may contain blood
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea, nausea, constipation
- Redness, irritation, pain, burning, or swelling where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088