Keeps you asleep during surgery or other medical procedures.
PrecedexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dexmedetomidine.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, heart disease, high or low blood pressure, low blood volume, or liver disease.
- Tell your doctor about any side effects you have after you stop receiving the medicine. This includes nervousness, chest pain, pounding heartbeat, trouble sleeping, shaking or trembling of the hands, stomach cramps, or sweating.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Irregular, fast, or slow heartbeat, or increase in blood pressure.
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting.
- Nervousness, agitation, or headache.
- Severe cough or trouble breathing.
- Severe vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, or nausea.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision or speech problems.
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate.
- Dry mouth, thirst, or tingling in your mouth.
- Increased sweating.
- Mild stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, or loss of appetite.
- Pale skin or bluish-colored lips.
- Unusual behavior, restlessness, confusion, or anger.
- Weight loss.