Samarium Sm 153 Lexidronam Pentasodium (sa-MARE-ee-um Sm 153 lex-ID-roe-nam pen-ta-SOE-dee-um)
Reduces pain caused by bone cancer.
QuadrametThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to samarium Sm 153 lexidronam or similar phosphonate compounds. You should not receive this medicine if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose, and how often this medicine should be given.
- This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins.
- You will receive this medicine while you are in a hospital or cancer treatment center. A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.Medicines used to treat cancer are very strong and can have many side effects. Before receiving this medicine, make sure you understand all the risks and benefits. It is important for you to work closely with your doctor during your treatment.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor, home health caregiver, or treatment clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are receiving medicines to treat cancer such as chemotherapy, or if you have had radiation treatment.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- This medicine may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have had congestive heart failure, kidney disease, or a bleeding disorder.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Avoid people who are ill, and wash your hands often. Brush and floss your teeth gently, do not play rough sports, and be careful with sharp objects.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody urine.
- Chest pain, uneven heartbeat.
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, or body aches.
- Light-headedness or fainting.
- Muscle cramps, or bone problems.
- Numbness or weakness in your arm or leg, or on one side of your body.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Hair loss.
- Nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea.
- Pale lips.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088