Used to increase the number of "friendly bacteria" in your stomach and intestines (bowels).
Acidophilus Probiotic Blend, Align, BD Lactinex, Bacid, Bacid Probiotic, Bifidonate, BioGaia, Bona-Bacillus, Culturelle, Dairycare, Diff-Stat, Dofus, Flora Q 2, Flora-Q, Florajen AcidophilusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to acidophilus, bifidobacterium, lactobacillus, saccharomyces, or streptococcus thermophilus. Do not use this medicine if you have a high fever, unless your doctor tells you to.
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Delayed Release Capsule, Liquid, Powder, Tablet, Stick, Chewable Tablet, Coated Tablet, Wafer
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule or tablet whole. Do not let it melt in your mouth.
- Do not chew, break, or crush the coated tablet or delayed-released capsule. Swallow them whole.
- Take the powder with meals. Avoid breathing in the powder. It can be very irritating to your lungs. Do not get the powder on your skin.
- If you are using the chewable tablet or wafer, chew it completely before you swallow.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Some forms of this medicine must be kept in the refrigerator after opening.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Tell your doctor about any health problems you have and any medicines that you are taking.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or vomiting.
- Stomach upset, gas, or cramps.