Treats asthma attacks and other lung problems such as emphysema and chronic bronchitis. This medicine is a bronchodilator.
Lufyllin, Lufyllin-400There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to dyphylline or similar medicines such as theophylline (Theolair®, Uniphyl®) or aminophylline.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using ephedrine or probenecid (Benemid®). Tell your doctor if you are also using other medicines for breathing problems such as theophylline (Theolair®).
- There are many medicines that can interact with this medicine. Make sure your doctor knows about all other medicines you are using.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney disease, an overactive thyroid, or stomach ulcers.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blood in your urine.
- Bloody vomit.
- Fast, uneven, or pounding heartbeat.
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Rapid breathing.
- Severe vomiting, agitation, extreme thirst, seizures.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Feeling irritable, restless or agitated.
- Headache or trouble sleeping.
- Mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach pain.
- Muscle twitching.
- Pale, clammy skin.