Benoxinate (ben-OX-i-nate), Fluorescein (FLURE-a-seen)
This medicine is used to numb and stain your eyes. Helps your doctor to view your eye during eye exams and procedures.
Fluress, FluroxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to fluorescein or benoxinate.
How to Use This Medicine
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
- Remove your contact lenses before receiving this medicine.
- This medicine is placed directly onto the surface of your eye as a drop.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using other eye medicines.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have allergies, overactive thyroid or heart disease.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you wear contact lenses.
- This medicine will numb your eyes. Avoid touching your eye until the effect of this medicine has worn off.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe pain or swelling of your eyes.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Burning or redness in your eyes.