Treats an infection caused by the Candida fungus. Also prevents Candida infection in people undergoing stem cell transplant.
MycamineThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to micafungin or similar medicines, such as anidulafungin (Eraxis?) or caspofungin (Cancidas®).
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.This medicine is given slowly, so the needle will have to remain in place for at least 1 hour.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using itraconazole (Sporanox®), nifedipine (Adalat®, Procardia®), or sirolimus (Rapamune®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a blood disorder (such as anemia).
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, or red skin rash
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Dark-colored urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, pain in your upper stomach, yellow skin or eyes
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, or muscle cramps
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Tiny red dots on the skin, especially on the lower legs
- Unusual bleeding or bruising, or pale skin
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed