Hydralazine Hydrochloride (hye-DRAL-a-zeen hye-droe-KLOR-ide), Isosorbide Dinitrate (eye-soe-SOR-bide dye-NYE-trate)
Treats heart failure.
BiDilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to nitrates such as nitroglycerin, amyl nitrite, Duotrate®, Impetrate®, Naptrate®, or Pentafin®. You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to isosorbide (Isordil®, Dilatrate®, Isochron®, Imdur®, Monoket®) or to hydralazine (Apresoline®).
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are taking any medicine to treat high blood pressure. Make sure your doctor knows if you use an MAO inhibitor such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®.
- It is best not to use this medicine while you are taking any type of medicine to treat erectile dysfunction. Some of best-known brands of such medicines include Viagra®, Cialis®, and Levitra®.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Tell your doctor if you have lupus, or a history of heart attack.
- You may become very dizzy or faint if you sweat more than usual, or if you have been ill with vomiting or diarrhea. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids while you are using this medicine, to keep from getting dehydrated.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain.
- Fast or pounding heartbeat.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blurred vision.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Fever, runny or stuffy nose.
- Headache, dizziness, confusion.
- Joint or muscle pain.
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, or chest.