Treats constipation. Also treats irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with constipation in women. This medicine is a stool softener.
AmitizaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
Do not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to lubiprostone, or if you have a history of a stomach or bowel blockage.
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Liquid Filled Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Take this medicine with food and water. This will help lessen the chance of nausea.
- Swallow the capsule whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to use your medicine, use it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to use the medicine and skip the missed dose. Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you also use methadone (Dolophine®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, severe diarrhea, or a sudden change in bowel movements.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe diarrhea, stomach pain or swelling
- Severe nausea or vomiting
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild nausea
- Passing gas
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088