Carbetapentane Tannate (kar-BAY-ta-pen-tane TAN-ate), Chlorpheniramine Tannate (klor-fen-IR-a-meen TAN-ate), Phenylephrine Tannate (fen-il-EF-rin TAN-ate)
Treats cough, runny nose, and stuffy nose caused by the common cold, asthma, bronchitis, or other upper respiratory tract infections.
Tussi-12 S, XiraTussThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to carbetapentane tannate, chlorpheniramine tannate, phenylephrine tannate, or to any cough or cold medicine. You should not use this medicine if you are using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®, or if you have used one within the past 14 days. This medicine is not to be used if you are breastfeeding. Do not give any over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold medicine to a baby or child under 4 years old. Using these medicines in very young children might cause serious or possibly life-threatening side effects.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- Swallow the tablet whole. Do not crush, break, or chew it.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are using an MAO inhibitor (MAOI) such as Eldepryl®, Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate®. Tell your doctor if you are using medicine for depression (such as amitriptyline, doxepin, nortriptyline, Elavil®, Pamelor®, or Sinequan®).
- Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol or if you are using any medicine that makes you sleepy, such as allergy medicine or narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have high blood pressure, heart disease, thyroid problems, diabetes, glaucoma, or prostate problems.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- This medicine may make you dizzy or drowsy. Avoid driving, using machines, or doing anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dry mouth.
- Nausea, vomiting, upset stomach.