Sodium Chloride (SOE-dee-um KLOR-ide), Tetrastarch (TET-ra-starch)
Treats and prevents low blood volume. This medicine is a plasma volume expander.
VoluvenThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to tetrastarch, or if you have pulmonary edema, congestive heart failure, kidney failure and other urinary problems, very high amount of sodium or chloride in your blood, bleeding in your brain, or if you are on dialysis treatment.
How to Use This Medicine
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, kidney disease, liver disease, dehydration, or bleeding problems (such as von Willebrand's disease).
- This medicine may cause a serious type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Tell your doctor right away if you have itching, hives, hoarseness, trouble breathing, trouble swallowing, or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth after you get the injection.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat.
- Fever or chills.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed.
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088