Treats fungal (yeast) infections in the mouth and throat (oral thrush). This is an antifungal.
OravigThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to miconazole or milk proteins.
How to Use This Medicine
- Take your medicine as directed.
- Take all of the medicine in your prescription to clear up your infection, even if you feel better after the first few doses.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- To use the buccal tablet:
- Apply the tablet in the morning, after brushing your teeth.
- With dry hands, place the rounded side of one tablet on your upper gum above the incisor tooth. You have a right and left incisor tooth. They are just to the right and left of your 2 front teeth.
- Hold the tablet in place by placing your fingertip over the upper lip for 30 seconds. This will make the tablet stick to your gum.
- Allow the tablet to dissolve. Do not crush, chew, or swallow the tablet.
- It is not a problem if the tablet sticks to the cheek or the inside of the lip.
- If the tablet does not stick or falls off within the first 6 hours, use the same tablet and put it on again. If it still does not stick, use a new tablet.
- If you swallow the tablet within the first 6 hours, drink a glass of water and place a new tablet on your gum.
- If the tablet falls off after 6 hours or longer, do not apply a new tablet. Wait for your next dose.
- You may eat or drink normally when the tablet is in place, but chewing gum should be avoided.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using phenytoin (Dilantin®, Phenytek®), a blood thinner (such as warfarin, Coumadin®, or Jantoven®), diabetes medicines that you take by mouth (such as glyburide, metformin, Actos®, Avandia®, Glucotrol®, or Glucovance®), or an ergot medicine (such as ergotamine, Cafergot®, Ergomar®, or Wigraine®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- This medicine may cause a serious type of allergic reaction called anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can be life-threatening and requires immediate medical attention. Call your doctor right away if you have a rash; itching; hoarseness; trouble breathing; trouble swallowing; or any swelling of your hands, face, or mouth while you are using this medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Fever, chills, cough, runny nose, sore throat, and body aches.
- Pain, redness, and swelling of the gums.
- Unusual bleeding or bruising.
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or upper stomach pain.
- Dry mouth.
- Itching skin.
- Loss of taste.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088