Technetium Tc 99m Pentetate (tek-NEE-shee-um Tc 99m PEN-te-tate)
Used to help your doctor see images of your kidneys or brain to see how well they are working.
There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to technetium Tc 99m pentetate or if you are breastfeeding.
How to Use This Medicine
- A doctor or other health professional will give you this medicine. This medicine is given through a needle placed in one of your veins before you have a brain or kidney scan.
- You will need to urinate right away after your exam and as often as possible for 4 to 6 hours after you get this medicine. Drink plenty of fluids before and after you get this medicine so you will urinate more.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease, or if you have other medical problems.
- You may be exposed to radiation when you are given this medicine. Talk with your doctor if you have concerns about this.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
- Rash or itching skin
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088