Cancer warning signs
The goals of cancer treatment are to:
- Cure the cancer by killing or removing all cancer cells
- Prevent or delay the cancer from coming back
- Treat cancer symptoms (if the cancer cannot be cured)
The types of treatment depend on the type of cancer, but may include:
You may receive more than one type of treatment. This is called combined therapy.
Cancer warning signs include:
- A change in bowel or bladder habits
- A sore that does not heal
- Unusual bleeding or drainage
- Thickening or lump in the breast or elsewhere
- Indigestion or Indigestion
- A change in a wart or mole
- Persistent cough or hoarseness
It is important to note that these symptoms may also be due to conditions other than cancer.
The following articles offer more detailed information:
For information on cancer-related organizations, see Cancer - support groups.
Perry MC. Principles of cancer therapy. In: Goldman L, Ausiello D, eds. Cecil Medicine. 23rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2007:chap 192.